What is Blockchain?
I am sure that by now you must have come across the word Blockchain and you are probably wondering what that is. Well, Blockchain is a digital ledger in which transactions made in bitcoin or another cryptocurrency are recorded chronologically and publically
Some key characteristics of Blockchain.
- It has increased network capacity. The most outstanding thing about Blockchain technology is how it improves the ability of the whole network. Therefore, several computers have been able to work together which offers excellent power than a few of the devices where the things are centralized.
- Better security. Blockchain technology has better protection since the chances of shutting down the system are quite slim. Bitcoin, an application entirely based on Blockchain technology, for example, has never been hacked. The blockchain is secured by some computers called nodes which are almost impossible to cut.
- it has increased the speed of settlement. Traditional bank systems can be slow due to the settlement time which generally takes days to proceed. Blockchain can settle money transfer at breakneck speeds saving financial institutions a lot of time and money as well provide convenience to customers.
- Decentralized system. It gives you the power to store your assets in a network which further access using the internet; an asset can be anything like a contract a document or so. The blockchain is thus such an essential tool for decentralized the web.
Applications of Blockchain
- Smart contracts. They are digital self-executable agreement that business parties sign in cooperation with each other’s terms and conditions. Smart contracts applications include financial agreement, health insurance, real estate property documents as well as crowdfunding. They are very safe as they are not prone to alteration and hacking.
- It promotes fair government election. Blockchain smart contracts provide a modern system that eradicates fraud. Entry in the smart deals will allow transparency and security while maintaining the privacy of the voters thus enabling fair elections.
- The other application is identity management. The distributed ledger technology users in Blockchain offers you advanced method of public-private encryption using which you can prove your identity and digitize your documents. Hence you can safely conduct online transactions.
The blockchain is probably one of man’s most superior inventions. Based on its fast speed, its high level of security increased capacity and decentralized system which applies in areas such as business and voting. With all of its extensive uses, it is correct to say that Blockchain technology is here to stay.
Timeline of Blockchain
Blockchain technology is one of the most notable innovations of the 21st century. It is having an immense effect on various sectors such as finance, manufacturing, and education. What do many not know however is that Blockchain dates back to 1990s, insightful right?
History of Blockchain Technology
Stuart Haber and W. Scott Sternotta envisioned the technology in 1991. Later in 1992, the two upgraded their system enabling the collection of more documents on a single block. However, it is in 2008 that the Blockchain story started to gain momentum thanks to the work of one person or group of people that went by the name Satoshi Nakamoto. Nakamoto is the brains behind the Blockchain technology. The truth is that very little is known about Nakamoto since all people know about him is that this mysterious person or people conceptualized the first Blockchain in 2008 from where the technology has evolved and found its way into many applications beyond cryptocurrencies.
How has Blockchain technology evolved?
The Blockchain technology has gone through a series of evolution steps which this piece seeks to explain. They are as follows:
- Blockchain emergence (200 – 2013). Nakamoto designed the genesis block from which other blocks were mined, interconnected resulting in one of the largest chains of block carrying different pieces of information and transactions. Ever since then Blockchain has adopted a long list of applications.
- Ethereum Development (2013 – 2015). Ethereum was born out as a different public Blockchain in 2013 with additional functionalities compared to Bitcoin, a development that has turned out to be a crucial moment in Blockchain history. It differs from Bitcoin in that it has a function that allows people to record other assets such as slogans. Officially launched in 2015, Ethereum Blockchain has become one of the leading applications of the Blockchain technology.
- The Future of Blockchain (2018 onwards). Blockchain chronicle and evolution does not stop with Ethereum and Bitcoin. In recent years, some projects have cropped up all leveraging Blockchain technology capacities. New projects have sought to approach some of the deficiencies of Bitcoin and Ethereum in addition to coming up with new features leveraging Blockchain capabilities.
Blockchain technology future looks bright in part because of the way governments and enterprises are investing big as they seek to spur innovations and applications. It is becoming increasingly clear that one day there will be a public Blockchain that anyone can use.
Why is Blockchain Technology Important to Us?
Let’s define Blockchain technology.
It is the technology responsible for the Blockchain, a digital ledger in which transactions made in Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency are recorded chronologically and publicly. This incorruptible digital ledger can be programmed no only to record financial transactions but also virtually everything of value it is the invention of Satoshi Nakamoto who may be an individual or a group of people, no one knows.
What are the outstanding characteristics of the technology?
I believe you are probably wondering why people are making such a big deal of technology when people keep inventing new things every day. The truth is that; it has several impressive features hence making it such a sensation. Some of these features include:
- It’s decentralized thus cannot be controlled by a single entity thus making it impossible to manipulate for selfish intentions.
- It has not recorded a single point of failure in the past.
- It is transparent and pretty much incorruptible.
- It is very secure to use.
- It is very fast.
- It has increased Network capacity.
what are some of the popular applications of this technology?
The truth is its applications are rather extensive, and we could not expound them entirely even if we tried every new day; people are discovering some of its new uses. Let’s discuss a few, shall we
- Information storage. Corporations, as well as individuals, can store information ranging from car logs, business transactions to medical records. This information cannot tamper with thanks to the encryption of data thus its users are assured of high-class privacy.
- It is essential in defrauding charities. Blockchain technology when adopted into the charitable organizations’ systems, keeps companies accountable thus eliminating embezzlement of funds and contributions.
- Smart contracts. They are digital self-executable agreement that business parties sign in cooperation with each other’s terms and conditions. They are used like ordinary contracts only that they are safer as they are not prone to alteration and hacking.
- The technology is battling electoral fraud. Recently applications have been created to combine voting with Blockchain technology; this will counter electoral fraud or any other kind of corruption involving voting.
- It encourages ethical business practices. The technology makes possible to track every transaction with complete transparency hence making it easier to observe all its users’ activities. Too bad for illegal businesses as they will have no choice but to engage in more ethical practices and help build the economy.
I cannot think of any single technology that has provided all the solutions that Blockchain has. Not only is it safe and fast but also it can be used in a whole spectrum of fields. In my opinion, this is a technology worth exploring and based on how effective it is, I can say with a lot of confidence that the future is brighter with Blockchain technology.
Why Blockchain Important?
On January third, 2009, Satoshi Nakomoto hardcoded this message into the Genesis Block of bitcoin:
“The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks”
That was the day’s headline from The London Times because the government continued to bail out banks from the 2008 financial meltdown. That bailout portrayed a closed system between centralized institutions—banks and governments—that had each failed United States of America.
Bitcoin represented a special blockchain model: a decentralized system, where the people owned the money. over that, Bitcoin was world cash, beyond the reach of any government. Finally, it had been personal money, protected by cryptography.
The roots of Bitcoin go abundant deeper, to the cypherpunk movement of the Nineties, epitomized in an exceedingly Cypherpunk’s declaration by Eric Hughes. in exactly 860 tightly crafted words, Hughes articulated a vision for a world during which privacy was a basic right.
Privacy, he argued, was not secrecy: “A personal matter are some things one does not need the complete world to grasp, however, a secret matter are some things one does not need anybody to grasp.” we have a tendency to all have things we have a tendency told rather keep personal (which is why we wear pants).
The cypherpunk movement, which thrived on mailing lists and message boards, attracted a motley crew of techno-libertarians, WHO typically valued “personal privacy and private liberty particularly alternative issues.”
The cypherpunk was introduced to the planet by technical school author Steven Levy in an exceedingly 1993 Wired magazine cowl story titled Crypto Rebels:
“[They] hope for a world wherever individual informational footprints — everything from AN opinion on abortion to the medical history of AN actual abortion — are often copied on the condition that the individual concerned chooses to reveal them. There’s only 1 method this vision can happen, which is by the widespread use of cryptography. Is that this technologically possible? Positively.”
Most people don’t need Alexa listening in on each personal oral communication, broadcasting to anyone World Health Organization will decipher a way to hack in.
Most people don’t need the govt. peering into our bedchamber through our digital camera. All this happens, of course, as a result of we’ve not claimed our right to privacy.
In fact, our privacy is under attack currently over ever. Social media sites like Facebook understand everything regarding you—including algorithms to spot your face. Information brokers like Equifax area unit still signboard your money history, while not your permission. And Alexa is listening.
While privacy will actually be accustomed hide evil, it may also be accustomed champion sensible. The Federalist Papers were written by solon, President, and diplomatist to encourage support for the USA Constitution—but printed anonymously.
But the U. S. could be a centralized establishment. The founders of this country sagely tried to balance power by making the manager, legislative, and judicial branches, that function a check on centralized management.
One issue got additional and additional centralized, however: cash.
We’d like an improved national economy, one that lets the U.S.A. send and receive cash as merely as causation email. We’d like to induce cash to the seven billion folks on earth, as well as the one.5 billion that area unit unbanked.
Money is power. Thus once everybody has access to cash, everybody has access to power. Cash for the folks means that power for the folks.
This is why Bitcoin is decentralized: a distributed network that anyone will be part of, creating cash that anyone should buy. The final word check on power could be a distributed network, just like the web. Even as nobody “owns” the net, nobody will “own” a localized currency like Bitcoin. We all do.
Decentralization, like democracy, could be a noble goal. However, within the world, somebody must write the code for Bitcoin. Somebody must solve the issues of Bitcoin: its poor quantifiability, rising fees, and outrageous energy consumption. Somebody must improve to “own” Bitcoin.
Just as the government is that the tough art of managing a democracy, governance is that the tough art of managing localized networks. The net has developed governing bodies, like ICANN (which organizes domain names) and therefore the web Engineering Task Force (a loosely organized body of good people). Blockchain can have to be compelled to do identical.
It’s this spirit of decentralization that we’re once. An open supply software package, consortiums like Hyperledger, and events like Unconferences capture the localized attribute of Blockchain technology. (We ought to look sceptically at “permission” or “private” blockchains; why not simply use a centralized database?)
Bitcoin was unreal as world currency for a worldwide economy. One cash for one world. It appears inevitable, doesn’t it?
We can still use our greenbacks and Euros and rupees, however, these can eventually be subsumed by a based-based world currency. Similarly, we will still be proud members of our tribe, however we have a tendency to should initial determine with the humankind.
This is a distinct story than we have a tendency to hear in today’s political climate, that is progressively 2nd, progressively black and white: the U.S.A. vs. them, one party vs. the other, isolationists vs. immigrants.
With Blockchain, we’re moving out of 2nd into 3D. Living within the dimension isn’t concerning; it’s about unlocking another dimension of prospects. Politicians area unit taking part in checkers; we’re taking part in chess.
Isn’t it ironic? Here we have a tendency to area unit, the localized Blockchain community, wasting the last year waiting on permission from centralized government establishments just like the SEC. Permission! Did the Yankee colonists assist permission from the King before declaring their independence?
Those early Americans thought in another dimension. They thought of one thing outside the 2nd world of subjects and King. They thought of independence. They thought in 3D.
To assume globally is to have confidence being a vicinity of one thing abundant larger than our country. That’s what’s happening now: a wave of human feeling, certain along by the net, supported by a brand new reasonably world cash.
Humans initial. Earthlings initial.
The paw of Justice
On the duvet is that this illustration of a paw. It’s not a paw of violence; it’s a paw of justice. A paw of commonness, to bring wealth to wherever it’s most required, to open the floodgates of cash around the world — and once the globe prospers, so do we.